Welcome to the Heart of Norcross Elementary!
Hours of Operation
8:20am to 3:15pm Monday through Friday
Debbie May - Media Specialist
Catrina Drake - Media Clerk
Media Center Phone # 770-417-2495
Be Respectful – listen & follow directions, be quiet if another class is working
Be Responsible – take care of books & materials, put things away properly
Be Reliable – return books on time
Media Center Goals
· To encourage students to become life-long learners.
· To instill a love of reading.
· To teach them the necessary information literacy skills through the use of technology.
The philosophy of the Media Center is that it should be a friendly, inviting place operating as the hub of the school. It should be the place the school community turns to for materials and for the location, understanding, and use of information. The role of the Media Specialist should fulfill the four roles of teacher, instructional partner, information specialist and program administrator. The Media Specialist should work to further incorporate information literacy skills into the curriculum. Collaboration with teachers will provide students with the skills needed to enable them to become life-long learners, savvy users of information, and enthusiastic readers. These combined efforts will result in an enhanced curriculum and improved student performances.
In an inviting atmosphere, the Media Center will provide students with a wide range of educational materials on appropriate levels of difficulty in a variety of formats with a diversity of appeal. These materials will enrich and support the curriculum while meeting the needs of both students and faculty. (adapted from the ALA Workbook)
Kindergarten and 1st grade - 1 book for 2 weeks.
2nd through 5th Grades - 2 books for 2 weeks.
3rd through 5th Grades - may check out magazines for 2 weeks.
· Books may be renewed for an additional two weeks.
· Reference books are not checked out so that they will always be accessible to students, teachers, and staff in the building.
We do not charge for overdue books. However, students will not be allowed to check out any more books until all overdue books are returned.
Lost Book Policy
We do charge for lost books. Hardbacks - $15.00 Paperbacks - $5.00
Students will not be allowed to check out any more books until lost book fees are paid.
Book Care Reminders:
· Always make sure your hands are clean before touching your books.
· Please do not write or color in your library books.
· Don't open the book too far or the ‘spine’ will break.
· Keep your books away from younger children or pets. They might damage the book.
· Try not to get your book wet, the pages will wrinkle.
· Please do not eat while reading, food could stain the pages.
· Don't leave your books laying around. Always put them in your bookbag when you are not reading them!
If you need special assistance due to a physical or learning disability, please let us know.
We will be happy to accommodate you in any way that we can.